Jamie Oliver’s Tofu Stir-fry with Noodle Salad
7 ounces or about 200 grams firm tofu
3 ounces shitake mushrooms, which is nearly 3 cups
1 green teabag
1 small carrot
5 ounces thin dried egg noodles
4 ounces bean sprouts
1 small heart of romaine lettuce
1 small red onion
1 inch fresh root ginger
1 small bunch fresh mint
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
Asian sesame oil
Soy sauce, preferable low-sodium
- Fill the kettle and put it on to boil. Preheat your oven to the lowest possible setting and place your bowls in the oven to warm.
- Fill a saucepan with the boiling water from the kettle and place it on high heat. Once boiling, add a pinch of salt, the noodles and the teabag.
- Separate the noodles with tongs so they don’t stick together, and cook according to package instructions. Meanwhile…
- Peel your carrot with a vegetable peeler, then shave the carrot into ribbons. Place in a mixing bowl and add the beansprouts (or alternative).
- Separate the lettuce leaves, wash and spin dry. Trim and slice the radishes as thinly as possible and put aside. Place a wok or other large skillet on medium heat.
- Peel and finely slice the red onion. Thickly slice the mushrooms. Peel and chop the ginger. Pick the mint and cilantro leaves and roughly chop them. Discard the stalks.
- When the noodles are cooked, drain in a colander and run under cold running water to cool. Discard the teabag, then tip the noodles into a separate mixing bowl.
- Toss the noodles with a little sesame oil and a splash of soy sauce. Cut the lemon in half.
- Add a splash of vegetable oil to the hot wok with the sliced onions, ginger and mushrooms and stir-fry until just beginning to soften.
- Break the tofu into bite-sized chunks directly into the wok and stir-fry carefully until warm through.
- Add a splash of soy sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice, then take off the heat.
- Get your warmed bowls out of the oven and divide the noodles between them.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and a splash of sesame oil to the bowl of sliced veg and toss together. Divide this between the bowls, piling it on top of the noodles.
- Spoon the tofu stir-fry over the top and scatter with your chopped cilantro and mint. Finish with a final squeeze of lemon and serve.